skip to main | skip to sidebar

Monday, November 7, 2011

Girls' Generation still shouldn't rap




I tried very hard to keep an open mind when SNSD started performing their comeback stages, and I have to say that the live performances gave the girls a little boost. I said in my earlier review that the choreography was boring and not very catchy, but after watching their lives I changed my minds. It makes me appreciate all the effort SNSD puts in just to make the choreography look polished. The moves are quite a significant change from their past hits. Their style has shifted into more individual moves during the verses, and then more uniform during the chorus. My favorite part of the choreography is definitely the dance break; I love it when Yuri is at the front and everyone shoots down, extending their left leg.

I also said before that the verses were uninteresting and repetitive. After watching their comeback stages, I don’t mind the verses too much. Even though they stay around the same three or four notes, I enjoy seeing individual members sing their lines. Each singer spices up their lines with unique action.

But even though there are some good parts to the song, the chorus is a huge deal breaker. Is the “new and fresh” concept just an excuse for a poorly written chorus? I’m not sure, but after watching their recent live performances, my conclusion is still the same: SNSD cannot rap. Sure, it shows attitude and individual personalities. Sure, it shows a more mature side of the group. But for me, I firmly believe that all songs should have a definitive and melodic chorus. I won’t go as far as to say that rap isn’t music, because if it’s written well and delivered properly, it can sound pretty good. But as far as “The Boys” goes, the rap chorus does not suit the song very well. If they want to rap, they can rap. They did it in the dance break. (I wanna dance right now!) But stay away from the chorus, please. “The Boys” would have done much better without it.

Live Performance Rating: 8.5/10 (docked off some points just because of the chorus.)

Watch their first comeback stage here:

So, what do you guys think? Tell me in the comments below!

1 comments:

  1. such a trueee revieww!! >> see, it kinda rhymes
    once the rap starts...i fast-forward
    but snsd's dancing is just really really crisp :D

Post a Comment